If you’re a true BBQ fan, then having the right equipment is essential to making delicious food. And when it comes to grilling those big family and friends get-togethers, nothing beats a large BBQ grill. They help make cooking outdoors comfortable and fun for everyone involved – from the delightful aromas of sizzling hamburgers on the grill to the mouthwatering sides of cornbread and potato salad that set off every main course beautifully.
That’s why we’ve rounded up five of the best large bbq grills out there so you can find one that suits your needs! With comprehensive reviews covering their features, construction materials, convenience options, price points and more – this guide will have you hosting serious block parties in no time!
What is Large BBQ Grills?
Before we dive into the specifics, let’s start with the basics. Large BBQ grills are designed to accommodate a significant amount of food, making them ideal for hosting gatherings or cooking for a larger group of people. These grills offer a spacious cooking area, allowing you to grill multiple items at once without the need for multiple batches. Large BBQ grills are available in various sizes and configurations, ranging from traditional charcoal grills to gas and electric models. Whether you prefer the smoky flavor of charcoal or the convenience of gas, there’s a large BBQ grill to suit your preferences.
Top Features to Look for in a Large BBQ Grill
When shopping for a large BBQ grill, certain features can enhance your grilling experience. Here are some key features to look for:
Adjustable Heat Zones: Look for a grill with multiple heat zones, allowing you to cook different foods at various temperatures simultaneously. This feature is particularly useful when grilling items that require different cooking times or heat levels.
Side Burner: A side burner provides additional cooking space, allowing you to prepare sauces, side dishes, or heat up a pot of beans while grilling. It adds versatility to your cooking and saves you time by eliminating the need to run back and forth between the grill and the kitchen.
Temperature Control: Precise temperature control is essential for achieving perfectly cooked food. Look for a grill with a built-in thermometer or temperature control knobs, allowing you to monitor and adjust the heat easily.
Top 10 Best Large BBQ Grills Reviews
1. Traeger Grills Ironwood 885 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Experience the ultimate wood-fired taste with the Traeger Ironwood 885 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker. It includes a spacious 505 sq.in. grilling area, 289 sq.in. warm area, 794 sq.in. cooking area – perfect for family parties!
- With Dual-Zone Control Individual Charcoal Trays and holes for ash dropping, you can control each tray individually. Enjoy precision temperature control from across the room with WiFiRE connected home technology and Alexa voice control capability!
- The 6-in-1 versatility of this grill allows you to grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, or BBQ on one device! Plus its Porcelain grill grates make clean up a breeze while the digital meat probe ensures your food is cooked perfectly every single time.
- In addition to the Traeger Ironwood 885 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker itself, this bundle also includes a protective grill cover as well as 1 bag of Signature Pellets – everything you need to start grilling today!
2. Masterbuilt MB20041220 Gravity Series 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill and Smoker
- Reaches 225°F in 10 minutes or 700°F in 15 minutes – With our precise temperature control, get your BBQ ready to go faster than ever before! The Masterbuilt Gravity Series grill and smoker helps you cook to perfection every time.
- Digital Control Panel & Smart Device Control using WiFi or Bluetooth – Conveniently adjust the temperature and cook time from either the digital control panel or with the Masterbuilt app. Connect via Bluetooth or WiFi to have complete control over your BBQ.
- GravityFed Hopper Holds 10 lbs. of Lump Charcoal or 16 lbs. of Briquettes – Get up to 8 hours of cooking time between refills of charcoal. Our system is designed so that you can keep grilling no matter how long the afternoon goes on for!
- Folding Stainless Steel Shelf & Side Shelf – Prepare your meals with ease thanks to our folding stainless steel shelf and side shelf for extra preparation space. Plus, a convenient fold-out cord storage prevents any loss or damage to the power supply.
3. Royal Gourmet US-SG6002R 6 BBQ Liquid Propane Grill
- High output & spacious cooking area – The Royal Gourmet US-SG6002R 6 BBQ Liquid Propane Grill boasts 71,000 BTU in total for high performance. With 602 sq. in. of primary cooking area and 193 sq. in. of secondary warming rack, you’ll have plenty of space to grill for a crowd!
- Sear burner & side burner – The U-shape sear burner offers 12,000 BTU while the lidded side burner provides 9,000 BTU, giving you extra space to prepare delicious side dishes or soups.
- Great heat retention – Double-layer lid ensures excellent heat retention that locks in flavor and keeps food warm evenly. Plus, a built-in thermometer monitors temperature in real time so your meals come out perfectly every time.
- Hassle-free cleanup – Made of galvanized steel, the removable grease tray is easy to slide out for quick cleanups. The removable grease cup helps keep floors from fluid drips. Enjoy your grilling without mess and stress!
4. Z GRILLS Wood Pellet Smoker Grill
- Extra Storage – Make grilling easier and more comfortable with our Z GRILLS Wood Pellet Smoker Grill. Its front shelf and side shelf provide enough storage space to keep your grilling gear within easy reach, and the foldable front shelf can be tucked away when not in use.
- Perfect Size – This grill is just the right size for couples or small households, with 459 sq. in. of cooking area and 15 lbs hopper capacity, weighing 84lbs in total. It takes up much less space than the 700 series.
- Precise Temps Control – Enjoy deliciously consistent meals every time by easily setting and adjusting temperatures, taking the guesswork out of cooking!
- Pellet Grill Technology – Get that great smoked flavor without any hassle using our wood pellet grill. You’ll definitely taste the difference compared to a gas or carbon grill!
- Superior Mobility – Wheels make it a breeze to move around your backyard terrain. Quickly roll over snow, mud, sand–you name it–without breaking a sweat!
- 8-in-1 Versatility – Our wide temperature range (180°F to 450°F) makes baking, grilling, smoking, BBQing, roasting, braising, barbequing and char-grilling possible!
- Reliable Service – Z GRILLS is a trusted manufacturer with over 30 years of experience providing 3 years of quality assurance for our products.
5. Royal Gourmet 8-Burner Gas Grill
- Spacious cooking surface – Enjoy abundant grilling space with 969 sq. in. of porcelain-enameled steel wire cooking grates. 8 stainless steel tube burners provide up to 104,000 BTU for efficient heat distribution and precise temperature control.
- Dual systems – Get two reliable ignition systems with push button spark on each burner. Two gas supporting systems let you create individually controlled grilling zones for perfect cooking results.
- Easy cleanup – Make your life easier with draw-out grease drip tray and removable grease collection cup on two different grease management systems. Cleanup is quick and painless!
- Folding design – Three wind deflectors fold down on each side of the cooking area for easy storage while two folding side tables offer ample food preparation work space .
- Great storage – Store large grill accessories in the 2-level heavy duty open cart or secure the LP tank on either side of the grill depending on which area you are using.
6. Permasteel 3-Burner Gas Grill
- Cook up to 33 burgers – Now you can cook up a feast in no time! With 512 sq. inch of total cooking surface, you’ll have plenty of space for all your family’s favorites. From juicy steaks to succulent veggies, Permasteel has you covered!
- Three stainless steel burners – Boasting a total of 30,000 BTUs, these powerful burners offer unbeatable heat control and long-lasting use. For easy clean-up and even heat distribution, two porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grates provide fantastic heat retention.
- Convenient storage & wheeled design – When it’s time to move out of the way, folding side shelves with barbecue tool hooks make storing the grill easy and convenient. Plus, four caster wheels mean you can wheel your grill wherever you need it with minimal effort!
- Compactly sized & natural gas conversion compatible -Measuring 51.2″ x 24.1″ x 45.1″, this compact gas grill is ideal for entertaining bigger groups in your backyard, patio or other outdoor spaces. It’s also convertible to natural gas (natural gas conversion kit required; sold separately).
7. Sophia & William Heavy-duty Charcoal BBQ Grills Extra Large Outdoor Barbecue Grill
- Experience the convenience of large-scale outdoor grilling with the Heavy Duty Charcoal BBQ Grill by Sophia & William. Boasting a generous cooking area of 794 square inches, including 505 sq. in. porcelain-enameled iron cooking grates and a 289 sq. in. warming rack, this grill is perfect for hosting gatherings of 10-15 people.
- Effortlessly adjust the temperature with the height adjustable charcoal tray, simply by rolling up the lifting handle to raise or lower the tray. The individual dual doors on the cover allow easy access to fuel or hot coals while cooking, eliminating the need to move food or remove grills.
- Enhance the flavor of your dishes with the lid-mounted temperature gauge and two side dampers for airflow control, ensuring a delightful smoky taste. Cleaning up is a breeze, thanks to the removable ash pan for quick disposal of ashes.
- With dimensions of 27″D x 64″W x 49″H and a weight of 93 lbs., this heavy-duty extra-large BBQ charcoal grill is ideal for backyard parties and family gatherings. Rest assured with our 12-month quality assurance guarantee on this product.
8. Amazon Basics Freestanding Gas Grill with Side Burner
- Freestanding gas grill – Cook up delicious meals with this 6-burner freestanding gas grill! Includes a side burner, warming rack, and removable grease tray. Easily maneuverable with its two wheels for portability. Perfect for big grilling jobs outside.
- Stainless steel lid – Keep your food warm and delicious with the stainless steel lid that’s included. Helps to lock in heat and moisture while you’re grilling, ensuring that your food comes out perfect every time.
- Porcelain coated grates – Get evenly cooked, flavor infused meat or veggies with our porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates. Flame tamers redirect drippings away from the burners for reduced flare ups and even heat distribution.
- Lid mounted thermometer – Check your cooking temperature accurately at a glance with the included lid-mounted thermometer (158 to 662 degrees F). Simple to assemble and easy to use, you’ll be able to quickly get started on creating mouthwatering delights!
9. Captiva Designs Extra Large Charcoal BBQ Grill with Oversize Cooking Area
- Extra Large Cooking Space: Enjoy a massive cooking area of 800 square inches, including 505 primary grilling and 289 stainless-steel warm area. Easily adjust the space according to your needs!
- Two Liftable Charcoal Trays: Customized to provide more user-friendly control of the charcoal. Perfect for a wide range of gatherings, big or small.
- Two Foldable Side Tables: Offering great load-bearing capacity and an easy way to store all your BBQ tools and condiments. Keeps your gathering orderly and spacious!
- Enamel Grilling racks: Designed with enamel grating grates and charcoal trays that are both heat resistant and easily cleaned. Plus, its chromplated warm rack creates an evenly heated surface.
- Professional Service: Captiva Designs offers unbeatable customer service before and after you purchase your charcoal grill – we’re here to help whenever you need us!
10. Char-Broil 463352521 Performance 4-Burner Cart Style Liquid Propane Gas Grill
- 425 square inches of cooking space – Enjoy a luxurious amount of space to cook up your favorite meals on. The porcelain-coated cast iron grates hold heat better, meaning you get superior results every time.
- Exclusive stainless steel finish – Not only does the sleek stainless steel add style to your outdoor décor, it’s also extremely sturdy and durable so you can be sure it’ll last for many backyard BBQ’s!
- Simplified assembly – With standardized hardware included, the assembling of this BBQ is made easier and faster than ever before! Plus, you can store your LP tank conveniently in its cart.
- Electronic ignition – Light up the burners with just one push of a button! You don’t have to worry about forgetting matches ever again.
- 10,000 BTU lidded side burner – Perfect for preparing sides or sauces while grilling your main course. When not in use, the lid folds down which provides extra work/prep space!
Accessories and Extras for Your Large BBQ Grill
Enhance your grilling experience with accessories and extras designed specifically for large BBQ grills. Here are some of the must-have accessories:
Grill Cover: Protect your grill from the elements by investing in a high-quality grill cover. This will prevent rust, corrosion, and damage caused by exposure to rain, sun, and snow.
Grilling Tools: A set of high-quality grilling tools is essential for every barbecue enthusiast. Look for a set that includes a spatula, tongs, grill brush, and fork, ensuring you have all the tools you need for a successful cookout.
Smoker Box: If you’re using a gas grill and still want that smoky flavor, a smoker box is a great accessory to have. It allows you to add wood chips or pellets, infusing your food with delicious smokiness!
Grill Light: Don’t let the night end your grilling session. Keep the party going with a grill light, which attaches directly to your grill and provides you with plenty of illumination.
When selecting accessories for your BBQ grill, make sure you choose items that are made specifically for large grills. This will ensure they fit properly and offer maximum protection and convenience.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Large BBQ Grill
Now that you have an understanding of what large BBQ grills are, let’s discuss the factors you should consider before making a purchase. These factors will help you narrow down your options and ensure that you choose a grill that meets your specific needs.
- Size: Large BBQ grills come in different sizes, so it’s essential to consider how much cooking space you require. Think about the number of people you typically cook for and the types of food you’ll be grilling. If you frequently host large gatherings or cook for a crowd, a grill with a generous cooking area will be more suitable.
- Fuel Type: Large BBQ grills are available in three main fuel types: charcoal, gas, and electric. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Charcoal grills provide that classic smoky flavor but require more time and effort to start and maintain. Gas grills offer convenience and quick heat-up times but lack the smoky flavor. Electric grills are easy to use and maintain but may not provide the same level of flavor as charcoal or gas.
- Construction Quality: A durable and well-built grill is crucial for long-term use. Look for grills made from high-quality materials such as stainless steel or cast iron. These materials are sturdy and resistant to rust and corrosion. Additionally, pay attention to the overall construction of the grill, ensuring that it is solid and stable.
- Extra Features: Many large BBQ grills come with additional features that can improve your grilling experience. For example, some have side burners and warming racks which allow you to cook or keep food warm without having to move it around. Other features include temperature gauges, removable ash pans for easy cleanup, lid-mounted thermometers for precise cooking temperatures, and rotisserie kits for slow-roasting meats. Consider which features are essential and which ones you can live without.
- Budget: Your budget will be a major determining factor in the type of grill you purchase. Large BBQ grills can range from inexpensive models to more expensive, feature-packed options. Decide on your budget and use it as a guide to narrow down your choices.
- Brand: When shopping for a large BBQ grill, it’s important to consider the brand. Reputable brands such as Weber and Char-Broil are known for their quality grills and exceptional customer service. It’s worth researching different brands before making your final decision.
- Warranty: Don’t forget to check the warranty and return policy before making a purchase. A good warranty will give you peace of mind in case something goes wrong with your grill down the line.
- Reviews: Read customer reviews to get an idea of how well a particular model performs in real-life settings. This will help you make a more informed decision about which grill is best for you.
Different Types of Large BBQ Grills
Now that we’ve covered the factors to consider, let’s explore the different types of large BBQ grills available on the market. Understanding the pros and cons of each type will help you make an informed decision.
Charcoal Grills: Charcoal grills are a favorite among barbecue enthusiasts due to the smoky flavor they impart on the food. They use charcoal briquettes or lump charcoal as fuel and require some skill to operate. These grills take longer to heat up compared to gas or electric grills, but many believe the taste is worth the extra effort.
Gas Grills: Gas grills are known for their convenience and quick heat-up times. They run on propane or natural gas and are easy to use, making them a popular choice for both beginners and experienced grillers. Gas grills offer precise temperature control, allowing you to adjust the heat easily. However, they do not provide the same level of smoky flavor as charcoal grills.
Electric Grills: Electric grills are the easiest to use and maintain. They are powered by electricity and heat up quickly. Electric grills are ideal for those who live in apartments or areas where open flame grills are not allowed. While they lack the smoky flavor of charcoal or gas grills, they offer convenience and ease of use.
Tips for Maintaining and Cleaning Your Large BBQ Grill
Once you’ve invested in a large BBQ grill, it’s important to take proper care of it to ensure its longevity and optimal performance. Here are some tips for maintaining and cleaning your grill:
- Clean the grates after every use. Use a wire brush to remove any food particles or grease left on the grates.
- Cover your grill when not in use to protect it from dust and debris.
- Make sure that the burners are working correctly by inspecting them regularly for blockages.
- Empty out all ash and charcoal when done grilling.
- For tougher grease and dirt, use a degreaser or other cleaning solutions designed specifically for BBQ grills.
- Regularly check the propane tank to make sure it is not leaking.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for maintenance and cleaning your grill.
Where to Buy the Best Large BBQ Grills
Now that you have all the information you need to choose the best large BBQ grill, it’s time to find a reliable retailer. Here are some popular options for purchasing your new grill:
Local Specialty Stores: Check out local specialty stores that specialize in outdoor cooking equipment. These stores often have a wide variety of grills to choose from and knowledgeable staff to assist you.
Online Retailers: Online retailers like Amazon offer a vast selection of large BBQ grills, along with customer reviews and ratings. This allows you to compare different models and make an informed decision.
Home Improvement Stores: Home improvement stores such as Home Depot or Lowe’s usually have a dedicated section for grills. Visit these stores to see the grills in person and speak with knowledgeable staff.
What is considered a large grill?
A large grill is typically defined as a unit with at least 400 square inches of cooking space. This is usually enough to cook for six to eight people comfortably.
What type of fuel should I use?
It depends on your preference and the type of grill you have. Charcoal grills require charcoal briquettes or lump charcoal, while gas grills use propane or natural gas and electric grills are powered by electricity.
What is the best type of large BBQ grill?
It depends on your individual needs and preferences, as well as the amount of space you have available. Gas grills are popular for their convenience, while charcoal grills provide that smoky flavor many people love. Electric grills are the easiest to use and maintain. It’s best to compare different types and brands before making a decision.
What is the best setting for a grill?
It depends on the type of food you are cooking. Generally, a medium heat is best for most foods. For delicate items such as fish or vegetables, use a lower temperature to prevent burning or drying out.
How long do grilles last?
With proper maintenance and care, many grills can last for several years. It’s important to clean your grill regularly and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for maintenance. Following these tips will ensure optimal performance from your grill for years to come.
Are large BBQ grills expensive?
The price of a large BBQ grill depends on the type, size, and brand. Generally, gas and electric grills are the most expensive options, while charcoal grills are more affordable. You can also find quality models at a variety of price points, so shop around to find the best deal for your budget.
What is the most common grill size?
The most common size for a grill is 4-burner, which typically provides up to 500 square inches of cooking space. This is enough to cook food for 8-12 people comfortably.
Are grills good for the environment?
Grills are not the most eco-friendly option, as they emit air pollutants such as carbon monoxide. To reduce your environmental impact, look for grills that feature eco-friendly materials and use low-emission fuel sources. Additionally, opting for a smaller size grill will help reduce energy usage. With these tips in mind, you can enjoy delicious grilled food without hurting the environment.
Do I need to season my grill?
Seasoning your grill is an important step for ensuring top performance and extending its lifespan. It’s best to do it before each use, as this will help prevent sticking and ensure optimal flavor. To season a grill, simply apply a light layer of oil or cooking spray to the grates and heat the grill to a high temperature. This will help create a protective coating that helps food release easily while cooking.
In conclusion, choosing the best large BBQ grill requires careful consideration of your specific needs and preferences. By understanding the factors to consider, the different types of grills available, and the top brands on the market, you can make an informed decision. Remember to maintain and clean your grill regularly and consider investing in accessories and extras to enhance your grilling experience. With the right large BBQ grill, you can make every cookout a success and enjoy delicious grilled food with family and friends. Happy grilling!
I’m Calvert Carlson, and I’m a barbecue chef. I’ve been blogging about my recipes for magazines and online cooking publications for years now. My expertise is smoking meat and grilling recipes, and people often ask me for tips.
I love to cook outdoors on my smoker or grill – there’s just something about the taste of smoked or grilled meat that can’t be beat.
Thanks for reading!